My boyfriend is writing an Invitation for me to visit him in Australia – is this ok? If so what should the invitation say?

If you are a Thai, Filipino or for that matter, any other nationality, and you have an Australian boyfriend or partner, the time may come when you both decide that it is time for you to visit him in Australia. If this is the case you will need to apply for and obtain a visa to enter the country. Assuming that you fit the criteria, you can apply for a Visitor visa and your boyfriend can act as someone who effectively Sponsors or supports your visit. Australian Visitor visas are multi-purpose and you can use them to enter Australia for the purposes of travel or sightseeing, to visit family, partners or friends, and even to study for a short period of time.

You may be able to show that you can meet all the criteria and standards required to obtain a Visitor visa all by yourself. However, if this is not possible – if there is some aspect of your application where you are lacking – you can ask your Australian boyfriend to provide the relevant assistance.

For example, most Filipinos and Thai’s would likely not to be able to meet the financial and other requirements for even a Visitor visa. The cost of living in Australia is significantly higher than in most parts of Thailand and the Philippines and the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) reflects this high cost of living by requiring evidence of funds in the many thousands of dollars. Of course, the amount required will depend on the type of visa being applied for and the expected time in Australia. If this applies to you and you cannot show substantial funds to support your visit you can ask your boyfriend to write an Invitation which offers to support your visit financially.

In the Invitation your boyfriend would certainly want to address either the financial and/or other aspects of your application that is/are lacking. He can even provide supporting documentation.

Even if you do not have an Australian boyfriend, but have a relative or good friend that resides in Australia, whether they are Australian or not, they may be able to provide you with some sort of offer of assistance should you need it. For example, if you are from the Philippines and your brother or sister moved to Australia a few years ago for work or study you could ask him or her to extend to you an Invitation.  

An Invitation from someone who is either Australian or is living in Australia does in no way guarantee that you will get your Australian visa. Any Invitation or offer of support is weighed against many other important factors. Some of these other considerations are character, health, work and visa history. We always strongly recommend that anyone thinking of applying for an Australian visa first at least obtain some preliminary advice about the visa options. The visa system can be a real mystery and a minefield without the proper assistance. 

How Australian Visa Advice (AVA) can help:

For more information about preparing an Invitation or a Visitor or Partner visa application you can contact us at Australian Visa Advice (AVA) We can advise you about the Invitation and prepare the visa application for you. We have a very high success rate, even with prior refusals, and many of our applications are granted in under the normal processing times. We have helped many people from the Philippines (both females and males) in both heterosexual and same sex relationships to obtain an Australian Visitor or Partner visa – so contact us today!

Written by Luke Gorham ©2020
Registered Migration Agent
Australian Visa Advice


  1. Janna says:

    I applied for TV last January this year. My boyfriend sponsors me. And i did prepared all the documents but still i got a refusal on my visa. In the decision of the refusal was i didn’t satisfy them that im coming back in the Philippines. What do you think should i do?

    • Luke says:

      Hi Janna,

      Yes, if you do not prepare the application carefully, and do not provide the correct documents, and do not say the right things and fail to mention other important things, then they will usually refuse your Tourist visa application.

      I have prepared 100’s of successful Visitor visa applications. I know how to do them properly to give you the best chance of success. I recommend that you get me to prepare your new Tourist visa application. Getting the first visa is always the hardest, and if you get the visa it will open up a lot of options for you and your boyfriend.

      You can email me at or you can get your Australian boyfriend to call me on 0434 477 964 to discuss further.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *