Taking your Thai wife or partner to Australia

If you are an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident and you are married to a Thai lady you can certainly look to take her back to Australia for a holiday or even to live there with you. Depending on your circumstances you may want to look at an Australian Tourist / Visitor visa, or a Partner visa. Of course, there are a number of criteria that you both have to meet to be eligible for any Australian visa, and I will go into these briefly below.

The simplest visa to obtain within this class is the Tourist / Visitor visa. As Australians we often just book our ticket, get on a plane, arrive in our destination country and get a stamp on entry. Sometimes we do need to obtain visas before arriving in a country: for example if we want to travel to Russia. Well, the same applies when Thai citizens want to travel to Australia. Thailand, is classified as ‘high risk’ by Australian Immigration and so your Thai girlfriend or wife would need to fill in a detailed application and both she and you would need to provide supporting documents. Being married to an Australian, in itself, will not guarantee her entry into Australia even for the purposes of tourism or to visit you and your family. Many things are considered. The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) would look at other potential issues, such as the character and medical condition of your Thai partner, the likelihood of her returning to Thailand, and her ability to be able to financially support her visit. They would also look at the length, strength and genuineness of your relationship. The processing time for a simple 3 month Tourist visa is usually somewhere between 5 and 20 business days. 

The permanent option would be to apply for a Partner visa. A Partner visa will eventually lead to Permanent Residency (PR) in Australia and will allow your wife to work in Australia if she chooses. Once this visa is granted and becomes permanent she will never need another visa for Australia. The Partner visa is considerably more complicated to apply for than a Tourist / Visitor visa and the processing time can be fairly lengthy. However, if you both qualify, a competent and experienced Migration Agent should be able to guide you through the process and help you achieve your goal of taking your Thai partner to Australia.

Contact us at Australian Visa Advice(AVA) today.

Written by Luke Gorham ©2020
Registered Migration Agent
Australian Visa Advice
ETA Visa Australia Express

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *